
P. took me to see The Lion King musical in Scheveningen last night. (The tickets were my birthday present this year.) It was a great show and my first musical in Holland. I absolutely love the theater. Only recently have I felt enough confidence in my Dutch to be able to enjoy seeing a show. Before now, I felt like it would have been a waste of money.

The Lion King was one of my favorite Disney films and I always wanted to see the musical in California, but never made it. I know the songs so well I was singing the English lyrics along in my head with the Dutch show. I was very impressed with the creativity that went into designing the costumes and reenacting the animation. Scar, the evil lion, is one of my favorite evil Disney characters. Somehow I always like the villains the best. They get the best lines. And yes, everyone, I am 30 years old and I still like Disney movies. Deal.
Scheveningen is a beach neighborhood in The Hague in Holland. It borders the ocean. And, although our schedule was tight, we made it to the boardwalk to see the ocean. It was beautiful --the ocean. It's something I miss the most from California. My friend M. and I would make the 40 minute drive every couple weeks through the mountains to the ocean. I miss those trips immensely. I miss the water, the waves, the beach, the sand under my feet. Just seeing the ocean again was very nostalgic for me. And we were there in time for the sunset --a big blazing orange ball. Beautiful.
Strange coincidence: while I was looking at the ocean and thinking of M., she was leaving me a voicemail about enjoying the snow in Tahoe and thinking of me. :o)
Here's a pic of our favorite beach in California, taken with M. on one of my return trips to California.
1 comment:
Cool, our psychic abilities were on synch with that one! I have great memories of us singing in the car and lounging on our favorite beach.
Post a Comment