Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The dangers of snow

Remember how the sun had finally poked out of the clouds a few days ago. It lasted for three (extremely cold) days. Today, it's gray and snowing – crazy Dutch weather.

The first time it snowed this year, it stormed. Our car was snowed in for days (luckily it was the weekend). I was 'snug as a bug in a rug' at home watching the skies carpet the world in white. It was so beautiful, powerful and peaceful. I was entranced and sat by the window watching the big, chunky snowflakes falling in swirling flurries. Paul and I did venture out one evening to wander the snowy streets and investigate the various snowmen built by neighborhood children.

Then, it was Monday and I had to actually go somewhere outside. Let's just say, growing up in Texas did not quite prepare me for traversing the road on my bicycle in snow. I remember as a child in Texas that if one snowflake hit the ground, the schools closed –honestly. From inside the nice, warm house, snow is beautiful and quiet. When you're trudging along outside, snow is wet, cold and muddy. It piles up in unexpected places causing your bike to wobble. It melts and refreezes making icy patches everywhere. And, the weirdest thing, it's impossible to see on your bicycle when it’s snowing. I would never have guessed this. Bicycling in the rain (which happens more often than I like to think about) really sucks. However, when it's snowing, the snowflakes get blown into your eyes and caught in your eyelashes and don't melt quick enough for you to see. It's actually painful and quite dangerous – so much for peaceful snow.

The snow pictures from were taken from my apartment a few weeks ago. It snowed lightly during the night and the trees were all feathery with ice.

No comments: