Remember when, as a kid, your mom would bring cupcakes to school for the entire class on your birthday? Well, here in Holland, when someone has a birthday at work, the birthday person brings cake for his/her colleagues. I find this a charming habit as it reminds me of being a kid, but it does wreak havoc on my dieting willpower. Dutch desserts (toetjes) are really, really yummy. Note: I did manage to resist this week as the countdown for my final wedding dress fitting is in the single digits!
So, now a general disclaimer: this has come up several times with my P. and now, also with a colleague and friend at work. I make the statement, “That is so Dutch,” about, for instance, above said cake-bringing tradition. To which, I have to eat my words and say instead, “That’s not very American.” So, my disclaimer for everything I’ve written before this post and everything I will write in the future. When making broad, generalized statements about life in Holland it does not mean that it is only done/not done in Holland. Apparently, some things that I consider to be very Dutch are actually very ‘European.’ So, please note, as I have only lived in America and Holland, my observations are only based on my experiences of these two countries. It could be that everyone in Europe eats their fries with mayonnaise (I don’t think so), but please note, when I say something is Dutch, that is only based on my direct experience and could very well also be done in Romania, Estonia, France and Denmark.
One of the greatest things about Europe: trains. I love taking trains. Probably if I did it every day, I wouldn’t enjoy it as much. But, actually it’s a great way to travel. Has anyone ever traveled by train in America, from state to state? I know trains for transportation exist. I’ve seen it in the movies. But, I’ve never actually taken a train in America to get somewhere. When I was young, my parents took me on one of those old fashioned, touristy trains somewhere in Texas and I went on another touristy train in California through the redwoods once. But, I’ve never used a train as long-distance transportation. I think if we examined the passengers on a train in America, they’d all be European. :o)
In general, Holland has much better public transportation than the places I lived in America. Maybe I only see that, because I’m forced to actually use it here. My mode of transportation is usually bike, bus or train, unless I’m traveling somewhere in the car with P. When I first moved to Holland, I was allowed to drive the first three months (that rule was recently extended to 6 months) with my American driver’s license. But, I never did. I was too busy settling in and exploring the immediate world around me on bicycle. After that time period, you’re required to take and pass the Dutch driving exam (paper and practical). Why haven’t I done it, you ask? Well, the test itself is rather expensive, but the truth is, you take the exam in your own car and P.’s, as well as most of the cars here, is standard. Although I learned, 14 years ago, to drive a stick-shift, my cars have always been automatic. And, I just haven’t been committed enough or had the time to re-learn. I do love riding my bike, however, I think I will make it a goal this fall to learn to drive a standard car and take the exam.
Right now, spring has just broken through the grey monotony. The trees are starting to bloom (could my sudden stuffy nose be a reaction to this? I’ve never had allergies, but maybe I’m one of those late adult bloomers….rrrggghh). We’ve only had one really warm day, but I’ve already started dressing for it - just in preparation. I keep looking longingly at all my cute sandals. And I know, on the warm and sunny days of spring and summer, I’ll want to be outside on my bike. So, I’ll save re-learning to drive a stick-shift for the grey, misty days of late fall.
Tomorrow is Queen’s Day! I love holidays so of course, I don’t mind adopting new ones for celebrating in Holland. More on that later…
4 comments:
Good job resisting the toetjes, I'm sure it wasn't easy. I enjoy reading everything you write about your life in Holland. I hope some day Abe and I can journey across the Atlantic together and experience it first hand. I'm almost 100% certain the fries with mayo is done elsewhere in Europe. Some of my siblings picked up on that while we lived in Europe and still eat them like that to this day. Good luck getting your license. Although, it sounds like you are getting along just fine without it.
i am trainered, one who has taken a train.
n and i took a train from seattle to canada, and we took a train from spokane to portland. i also took a train from florida to texas.
seattle to vancover was pretty full. we met a few europeans and lots of canadians along with a fair mix of americans.
spokane to portland was overnight, we didn't meet many. it was about half full, all accents seemed american.
florida to texas. the train was about a quarter full, i didn't find a forgiener(i don't think i spelt that one right) in the bunch. it was about 12 hours late.
Well, and there you have it. Americans do take trains. :o)
About the truth... actually, you cannot take the drivers exam in your own car... However, you are not allowed to drive a stick shift when you took the exam in an automatic car. Just FYI!
Post a Comment