I went to see The Lemonheads perform tonight in Amsterdam never having heard a song and knowing absolutely nothing about them further than a friend's description as an "British indie-pop band." I decided it was time to get out and do something a bit cultural. They are, in fact, indie-pop-punk meets hillbilly twang. I really enjoyed myself, although I realized that I did not exploit my youth to its fullest potential. I should have gone to more music venues when I was younger. Now I find moments of old age creeping into my nights out. For instance, the first few songs were way too loud. I don't know if my brain just adjusted more slowly or it was the 'alternative' smoky air, but after a few songs, my ears got over the volume level and my body got into the groove. I especially liked how the lead singer would break out into this yodelesque twang at the end of a really punk rock song. My favorite songs were the ballads. Could it be because those were the ones slow enough for me to understand the lyrics? And the scariest old-age moment was thinking the thought I'd heard uttered so often from my grandmother's lips, "You know, he'd be so much more attractive if he'd just get that hair out of his face." Yikes!
Thursday, October 26, 2006
Sour sounds
I went to see The Lemonheads perform tonight in Amsterdam never having heard a song and knowing absolutely nothing about them further than a friend's description as an "British indie-pop band." I decided it was time to get out and do something a bit cultural. They are, in fact, indie-pop-punk meets hillbilly twang. I really enjoyed myself, although I realized that I did not exploit my youth to its fullest potential. I should have gone to more music venues when I was younger. Now I find moments of old age creeping into my nights out. For instance, the first few songs were way too loud. I don't know if my brain just adjusted more slowly or it was the 'alternative' smoky air, but after a few songs, my ears got over the volume level and my body got into the groove. I especially liked how the lead singer would break out into this yodelesque twang at the end of a really punk rock song. My favorite songs were the ballads. Could it be because those were the ones slow enough for me to understand the lyrics? And the scariest old-age moment was thinking the thought I'd heard uttered so often from my grandmother's lips, "You know, he'd be so much more attractive if he'd just get that hair out of his face." Yikes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment