Friday, February 24, 2006

The sun is shining...

The sun is shining. I can't stop smiling when I look out the window. It is the first day in a long time that I can remember a beautiful, clear blue sky. It's deceptive because you still must layer on a sweater, winter coat, shawl and thick gloves before braving the outdoors. I am completely convinced that light and weather affects people's moods. We have just suffered a long period of grey, rainy days. And I'll be darned if not every one of my girlfriend's here isn't suffering some kind of emotional crisis (or at least unrest) right now.

I had no idea what I would be giving up, e.g. sun, outdoors, light...etc. for such long periods of time when I moved from California to the Netherlands. The good news is that as I'm nearing my third year here, I know what's coming. I look forward to the spring and summer. In California, I took the everyday, beautiful weather for granted. Here, beautiful weather is a celebration and everyone comes out and revels and parties. I love the city in the late spring. Everyone gathers on the huge cafe patio's, drinking, chatting and soaking in the sunny, warm atmosphere. And although there are many places in the world I have yet to see, no place I have seen rivals the variety and complexities of green found here in nature in the spring.

I'm bookless at the moment. I finished Desert Flower on Tuesday which was the seed of my emotional distress over the last two days. An explanation will require another post in the future, but I will wait until after the book club meetings so as not to give anything away or cloud other members' opinions in advance. I do feel that something is missing when I'm not engaged in a book. However, my task list is only growing longer and longer at the moment and I know I should accomplish some things before getting involved in another book. I am a fanatic list maker. I can't sleep well without pouring all my tasks and to dos onto paper (or computer). Otherwise, my mind is churning and I can't fall asleep. I've only recently (this week) turned 30, but in the last year noticed that I have alot more difficulty falling asleep. I'm beginning to think it may have something to do with age. :o(

Last movie: Prime. Cute. Entertaining. That's about it. I cannot wait to see Aeon Flux! I used to watch this weird, wacked out animation with A. back in the day on MTV. We were totally obessesed. We also watched alot of japanimation that year. I should admit that I used to be a huge sci-fi fan. I still appreciate it today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course it's worth keeping up your blog! And oh wow......forgot your birthday....AGAIN. That's like the millionth year in a row that has happened. HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY!! Now I have another club member, yay! Aeon Flux rocks, by the way. Nothing compared to the tv show, but you can't go wrong with a woman in a tight catsuit kicking some butt. Love you dear,

Anonymous said...

Hey! Loved, loved the Valentine photo! Saved it (of course.) Interesting--to me--sidenote: When my sister Shari was born I was not quite 3. There was a popular song then playing (1950) called C'est si bon (forgot to look at your spelling & I don't know French.) So when they told me her name, I said, "Oh little Cherry Boney". so for yrs my sister was nicknamed Shari-boney. Not cute unless you knew why the nickname! Risa